Creamy Roasted Broccoli and Kale Soup
- 1 lg or 2 med head of cauliflower
- 1 lg or 2 med head of broccoli
- 1 lg bunch of kale
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 qt organic low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- The first thing we need to do is boil the cauliflower. Chop it up into bite size pieces and boil in a pan with water. Let it boil for about 10-13 min – just to make sure it’s cooked through. Put in a strainer and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Chop up the broccoli into whatever size you would like in the soup. I usually go pretty small – about dime-size pieces. Spread out over cookie sheet(s) covered with aluminum foil. Bake for about 10-15 min or until lightly browned.
- Chop up the onion and garlic cloves and sauté until the onions are caramelized.
- Combine onions, garlic, and cauliflower into blender. Add some vegetable broth for liquid and blend on high until smooth. You may need to do this in batches depending on the amount of cauliflower.
- Rinse the kale and tear it up into bite-size pieces. Do not include the stem. Lightly sauté the kale in the soup pot to soften it. Once this is ready go ahead and pour in your cauliflower base from the blender. Add the nutritional yeast, olive oil, and the rest of the broth if you didn’t already use it in the blender.
- Throw in about ½ tsp of salt, a dash of pepper, and maybe ½-1 tsp garlic powder. Add in the broccoli and bring everything to a simmer, stirring occasionally. You may want to add some water to thin it out a little depending on your taste.
- Bring it all to a simmer and let it go for about 15 min. Remove from heat and let it cool a little before eating. Enjoy!
Eat your fruits and veggies, kids