- 1 small-ish banana prior to walk = 90 calories
- Smoothie (5 small-ish bananas, 1 cup coconut water, 1 tbsp. chia seeds, 8 ice cubes) = 550 calories
- I forgot to add cinnamon!! Boo.
- 1 whole canary melon = 200 calories?
- A small handful of peanuts = 100 calories
- Brown rice pasta with *sigh* Ragu = 350 calories
- Most of a small avocado = 200 calories
- Pita Jungle Lentil Fetoosh Salad = 600 calories
- Minus any pita, replaced with corn chips (their pitas have wheat).
- Make it at home and control ingredients better.
Colors: Yellow, black, green, brown, red, white
Water: 100 oz?
Exercise: 50 minute walk
Sunshine: 1 hour
Sleep: Maybe 7 hours. Pukey dog woke us up a few times. Poor thing. :o(
- Why do you eat so many bananas?
The answer is fairly simple. On a raw food diet, you need to eat for calories. While calories don't work the way we think they do, you still need to make sure you're eating enough. On days when I eat mostly raw (which is just about every day at this point), I need to eat some calorie-dense foods or eat in quantity. I eat anywhere from 3-12 bananas most days, usually in the 5-8 range. Each banana is about 100 calories, and I aim for 2000 a day. I'm getting more active now, so I'll start eating more as I need more.
- But isn't that too much potassium?
Absolutely not. The average human requires 4500-5000mg of potassium a day for normal, healthy functioning. A banana has about 500mg. My math is sometimes rusty, but I do believe this means we actually need about 10 bananas a day for proper potassium levels. Now, you can get potassium from other sources, sure. But a lethal dose of potassium goes according to body weight. Since I'm honest about mine, I'll be the example. A lethal dose is 2600 mg per kilogram of body weight. At 114 lbs, I weigh about 51 kg. 51 kg x 2600 mg of potassium is 132,600 mg of potassium to OD on. I would have to eat 331 bananas in order to die from potassium. Not to mention, I'd have to eat them in about 30 seconds for my body to not filter it out before killing me. Not gonna happen. For more info, check here.
- So how do I start eating this way?It's easy: just start adding fresh fruits and veggies to your current diet. Then start removing the processed foods, fast foods, sugary foods, etc, from your eating habits and you'll be well on your way. Maybe you could do something different each week. Set goals like, "Eat more bananas and eat less foods with added sugars this week." Next week's goal could be, "Eat more greens and eat less wheat." A little at a time will go a long way towards making healthier habits. Sometimes it's good to start small to keep detox smooth. You'll detox because you've built up so many toxins from eating all the junk over the years. I know I did. And I still have some left to go.
Have any questions? Ask away!
Eat you fruits and veggies, kids.